Forward Planning To Ensure Best Racing at Cowes Week in 2011 and 2012
Competitors will recall that in 2004 the regatta dates were put back by a week to avoid the extreme spring tides which would have compromised the racing. Whilst this move affected some, the change was largely welcomed and vastly improved the racing conditions. CCC faces a similar problem in 2011 when the traditional dates would encompass larger than normal spring tides. Then, in 2012, the Olympic Games are being staged from the 27th July until the 12th August and, recognising the importance of people being able to enjoy both the Olympic Games and the Regatta, the dates will once again be moved.
The CCC Committee appreciates that this decision will have some affect; however, by giving such a long notice period it is hoped that this will be minimised whilst the standard of racing is optimised.
Confirmed dates for Cowes Week 2011 and Cowes Week 2012:
2011 - Saturday 6 August - Saturday 13 August 2012 - Saturday 11 August - Saturday 18 August
Notes to Editors:
· Please ensure that in references to the 2011 and 2012 dates being set, it is also made perfectly clear that this year’s dates are:
29 July – 5 August 2006. We know from past experience that some people will read about the 2011/2012 dates and still be convinced that we have changed the dates for the 2006 regatta!
· 2006 marks the 180th anniversary of this world-famous eight-day Regatta that now attracts over 1,000 yachts across 40 classes, 8,500 competitors and over 10,000 visitors and spectators a day.
· Further details and future dates etc are available on the official website:
· Skandia Cowes Week is the flagship event for the Skandia Set Sail programme that aims to offer people more opportunities to participate in the sport on a broader level. The objectives of the Skandia Set Sail Campaign are to make sailing more accessible, grow the sport's reach and enrich peoples' lives through the sport.
· The Ellen MacArthur Trust is the official charity of Skandia Cowes Week. http://www.ellenmacarthurtrust.org%20<http://www.ellenmacarthurtrust.orghttp://www.ellenmacarthurtrust.org/> Peta Stuart-Hunt
Skandia Cowes Week
Office: +44 (0) 1590 679 621
2006 Regatta dates : 29 July to 5 August
We appreciate your use of the full, official name of the Event, Skandia Cowes Week.