Global Sports Week is looking for its next Young Sports Makers
The selected squad of 35 young people will be the voice of the next generation during Global Sports Week – an annual international forum where leaders, influencers and changemakers come together to make the future of sport.
The next Global Sports Week will be held between February 1st and 5th 2021, with events taking place in Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Milan, Dakar, Los Angeles and online.
Young Sports Makers will be recruited from around the world, with a mission to shape debates and challenge top leaders in person or through virtual events depending on their location.
Those selected will be placed centre-stage during Global Sports Week. They will benefit from an unrivalled platform to raise their voice and make an impact, with direct access to leading figures from sport, business, media, entertainment and society.
This year, considering the current situation, only Young Sports Makers living in or near one of our six hub cities will be able to attend the event physically; the others will be able to participate through our digital platform.
To compensate for travel restrictions, the package will include a year-round programme of online networking and development activities supported by Global Sports Week partners.
The new group of Young Sports Makers will join a prestigious international network of emerging talents – athletes, social entrepreneurs, students and young professionals – from across the global sports community.
Are you a Young Sports Maker?
You are eligible to apply to become a Young Sports Maker if you are:
● Between 18 and 25 years old on 1 January 2021
● Involved in sport as an athlete, coach, organiser, student, volunteer, business professional, entrepreneur or activist
● Passionate about sport’s future and its potential to contribute to a better future for the world
Please note that we are especially looking for Young Sports Makers living in or near one of our six hub cities (Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Dakar, Milan and Los Angeles) in order to limit travel in light of current restrictions. Young people outside these cities are also welcome to apply to participate digitally in the programme.
Those selected must be available throughout the week of February 1st to 5th.
Becoming a Global Sports Week Young Sports Maker is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Don’t just take our word for it! Here’s what some of last year’s squad had to say:
“If you truly want a melting pot of diversity, social justice, sustainability and other key issues that we tackle on a daily basis in sports all in one place, the Young Sports Makers programme is the one you should apply for!” - Ananya Sachdev, India
“Are you young and passionate for sports? Do you have ideas, beliefs or projects to share? Are you the future of sport? Join the Young Sports Makers from around the world, share, discuss and take part in #GSWParis 2021.” - Lucie Lenne, France
“The whole experience was just great!” - Alejandro Milan, Venezuela
“What are you waiting for? Apply now, raise your voice and represent your generation.” - David Thibodeau, Canada
The package includes:
● A central role in Global Sports Week, with a platform to raise your voice and profile among an audience of global leaders and influencers
● Direct (in-person and/or digital) access to leading international figures from sport, including private round-table discussions
● Full annual access to the Global Sports Week digital platform
● Free access to Global Sports Week Paris or the Global Sports Week Beijing, Tokyo, Milan, Dakar or Los Angeles events for Young Sports Makers living in these cities. (Any travel and accommodation costs must be met by the YSM).
● A year-round online programme of networking and development opportunities including Global Sports Week partner masterclasses
● A communications kit, with rights to use the Young Sports Maker designation and visual identity in your personal and professional communications
I’m in. How do I apply
Applications are open from September 24th to October 18th 2020.
The whole process should take around 20 minutes and includes two parts:
● An online form with questions about you and your interest in sport;
● A 60-second video statement, during which you should tell us one change you want to see in the future of sport.
The video can be shot on your smartphone (use the portrait or vertical mode). Selfies are fine. What matters most is your vision, your passion and how you present your ideas. You’ll need to upload the video file using a WeTransfer link service.
When you’re ready to go, use this link to complete and submit the online application form:
There’s a space in the form for you to post your video download lin.
What happens next?
Applications will close on October 18th. Submissions will be assessed by a group of sports business leaders, who will be looking for sports passion, innovative thinking and persuasive presentation skills alongside ensuring a balanced geographical spread of participants.
In late October/early November, all those meeting the criteria will be invited to an online pre-selection workshop.
The final selection of Young Sports Makers for Global Sports Week 2021 will be announced in mid-November 2020.