Rome confirmed as Euro 2020 host city as fans can attend
Italy is set to stage matches at soccer's European Championships this year after it was confirmed that a limited number of spectators will be able to attend.
The Italian authorities have given the green light for Rome's Stadio Olimpico to be at least 25 per cent full, taking into account ongoing coronavirus restrictions.
The venue is due to stage the opening match, between Italy and Turkey, plus three other fixtures, at the pan-continental Euro 2020, which has been delayed to this year because of Covid-19.
Uefa, European soccer's governing body, said today that it "considers Rome to be fully confirmed as a venue for the tournament."
The confirmation comes after Rome, Munich, Bilbao and Dublin were last week given an extended deadline of 19 April to provide details on plans to admit spectators, and remain as host cities for the tournament.
Euro 2020 is due to take place from 11 June to 11 July.
Gabriele Gravina, the president of the FIGC, said on Tuesday: “Italy and Rome are on board. The government approval of the public’s presence at Rome’s Euro 2020 matches is wonderful news... The message that the government sends to the country is one of great confidence and extraordinary vision.”
Of the 12 planned Euro 2020 venues, nine have now confirmed they can accommodate spectators at between 25 per cent and 100 per cent capacity.
The Uefa executive committee is due to meet on 19 April when the final line-up of host cities is expected to be confirmed.